Communication is only a skill, every one can learn it and do it well. The first chapter names: 《connecting increases your influence in every situation》. We receive huge message and information every day, if we could not communicate with others efficiently, our life is going to loss much. And we also speak thousands words per day. So the effectively communication can balance our life time.
Connecting is different with talking. We connect with other, we feel good, and we focus on the topic, however even we talk loadly, may not a good communication.
An effective communication can help us communicate better, no matter with leader, family members, friends, or even strangers.
How do we do? The key is Connecting.
It’s not enough just to work hard. It’s not enough to do a great job. To be successful, you need to learn how to really communicate with others.
There are many powerful questions during the chapter 1.
1. How do we choose which messages to tune in and which ones to tune out?
2. How many of your words matter?
3. How many would make a difference?
4. How many would get through to others?
5. How can you make your words counts?
6. How can you really commuicate with others?
When you connect with others, you position yourself to make the most of your skills and talents.
7. Have you ever gotten frustrated while making a presentation because people just weren’t getting it?
8. Have you ever wanted your boss to understand how much value you add to the company so you could get a well-earned raise or promotion?
9. Have you wanted to improve your relationship with a friend or make a positive impact on your community?
10. Have you wanted your children to listen, so you could help them make good choices?
Connecting is the ability to identify with people and relate to them in a way that increses your influence with them.
11. How much healthier would your relationships be if you excelled at conneting?
12. How would your marriage and family life improve?
13. How much happier would your relationships with friends be?
14. How much better would you be at getting along with your neighbors if you were able to connect with them?
The ability to connect with others begins with understanding the value of people.
15. How would being a better connector impact your career?
16. What would happen if you were fantastic at connecting with your co-workers?
17. How would things cange at work if you were better able to connect with your boss?
The number one criteria for advancement and promotion for professionals is an ability to communicate effectively.
At the end of this chapter. There are few good suggestiongs for connect with different subject.
Connecting for one-on-one.
Talk more about the other person and less about ourselves.
If in a meeting or social gathering, prepare at least two questions to ask the person.
Bring something of value, for example: Quote, Store, Book.
At the close of the conversation, ask if there is anyghing we can do to help the person and then follow through.
Connecting in a group
Look for ways to compliment people in the group for their ideas.
Look for ways to add value to people.
Find ways to help the goup celebrate successes together.
Connecting with an audience
To observe communicators who are good at it. Learn from them.
Let your listeners know that you are excited to be with them.
Communicate that you desire to add value to them.
Let them know how they add value to us.
If I went back to college again, I’d concentrate on two areas: learning to write and to speak before an audience. Nothing in life is more important than the ability to communicate effectively.